Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mid-Autumn Festival

I cannot believe I have left home again for nearly a month now. Home, Home, Homesick...



And the Mid Autumn  Festival is coming. It is one of the most important festival in China, as long as the Chinese New Year, Dragon Boat Festival.

All the traditional festival are based on the lunar calendar. Mid Autumn Festival is on August 15th, the full moon night. It is a time for family reunion. However, not all the people can make it to be there with their family, like me :(. So since ancient time, a lot of poets had put a lot of beautiful sad word to express their feelings, their homesickness, their feeling to love ones... and the moon is in the center of all the emotions. The moon is the one that shared by your love, your family no matter how far you are apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIdDASnirbY

This is a link of the most popular song every year around this time. Don't go to a karaoke place these couple of days, you will be annoyed hearing the song all night!

The song is in Chinese, but the melody is really touching. And the following are a version of translation, hope it can help you get the singer's message. It might sound like a loner mumbling, but it is what we do when the loneliness eat you from inside, do silly things.


"Thinking of You"

When will the moon be clear and bright?
With a cup of wine in my hand, I ask the blue sky.
I don't know what season it would be in the heavens on this night.
I'd like to ride the wind to fly home.
Yet I fear the crystal and jade mansions are much too high and cold for me.
Dancing with my moon-lit shadow
It does not seem like the human world
The moon rounds the red mansion Stoops to silk-pad doors
Shines upon the sleepless Bearing no grudge
Why does the moon tend to be full when people are apart?
People may have sorrow or joy, be near or far apart
The moon may be dim or bright, wax or wane
This has been going on since the beginning of time
May we all be blessed with longevity Though far apart, we are still able to share the beauty of the moon together.



But there is something we are looking for--food---Moon Cake!

The moon cake is delicious, but the story attached to it is sad. I will share it with you in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment