Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 6, 2010

My family(2)

This is my lovely grandma, who is 83 years old now...

She was a tailor during her entire life. Before I was 10, all the kids' clothes in my family was still made by grandma.

Her specialty is embroidery(Cixiu). If the picture is a painting, the thread or yarn is its paint and a tiny needle would be the brush.

Lotus Feet

Those shoes are not for the baby, but they are only about 10cm long. In ancient China, men believe it is sort of beauty that women has small feet or just keep them indoor, so to make sure that their daughter can find a good husband, parents bended the girls' feet as early as they are 5. I don't need to describe how painful the process is. If I can find some counterpart in western culture, I think corset would be a good one. 
(Are they beautiful?)

Grandma's feet is size four and half. When the society became more liberal, her feet got released, but her bone was broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment